Tuesday, July 23, 2013

I Don't Go Out Anymore

It was late one night.  I had gone out drinking at the bars, just bar hopping from one place to another.  Didn't ever get trashed or belligerent, always stuck to beer and socialized for the most part.  It was fun but I don't do any of that anymore.  I can't go out, at least not alone and not to places I don't know.  Whatever it was that night, still lingers in my head.  Still have nightmares.

It was a Saturday night around maybe one in the morning.  I had left the bar to catch a bus back home.  I had gone pretty far into the city that I wasn't really sure where I was anymore.  That was never a problem though because I would usually just find a bus stop and take it back home or near home.

It was a nice night with the temperature being warm but still cool.  The moon was out and the sky was clear.  I had decided to wander around a bit before I caught a bus back since I had never been in this part of the city.  I wanted to see if I could find any interesting shops or restaurants but I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere because I was nowhere near anything that resembled any type of business.  I had wandered into a residential area.

It was a creepy area.  Lots of trees and overgrown bushes. The houses here didn't look inviting at all, almost abandoned amityville type houses.  The paint and architecture of them were old and unfamiliar.

As I was looking around at them I got a weird creepy vibe, like when you feel someone is watching you.  It felt like there were faces in the windows in some of the houses.  I kept walking looking for a bus stop and noticed there weren't any lights on anywhere.  No street lamps, no house lights, nothing just the low glow from the moon that reflected off the sidewalk.  I was starting to get that nervous anxious feeling you get when you feel lost.

I kept walking looking for any kind of sign but began to hear footsteps behind me.  I turned and looked but no one was there and the footsteps had stopped.  I stood for a moment looking into the street to see if anyone was there but I couldn't really see too far since it was dark and black.  I turned and began walking and again I heard footsteps behind me.  I whipped around to look and this time I could see a faint figure of a person standing at the far end of the block.  I stood there nervously looking for a second trying to figure out exactly who it was and if he meant me any harm.  He never moved while I looked.

I turned and began walking again and just like before, footsteps.  I turned and when I looked my heart sank.  There he was again only this time he was much closer.  About mid way of the block.  He had closed half the distance in a few steps.  That wasn't possible.  I stood there for a moment to see if he would move.  I shouted at him, "hey buddy, what's your problem?" but no response.  Not even a single movement.  I waved my hand at him and my body filled with dread.  He waved his hand back at me in the exact same way.  He was mimicking my every move.  I put my hand down and he put his down at exactly the same time.  I put my hands up and along with me he put both his up as well.  Fear started crawling on my skin.

I began to walk faster now almost power walking.  And I could still hear the footsteps behind me but they had quickened the pace as well.  I turned around and began to walk backwards and the man was just standing there again much closer than last time but not moving.  I could see some of his facial features now but I couldn't quite get a grasp on them.  He didn't look quite right.  Something about him was off, I could feel it in my gut.  I gestured my arms out in a tough guy way to the sides and he copied my every movement. I titled my head to the side curiously and I could see in the vague darkness he was tilting his head the same way as me.

I continued to walk backwards and yelled at him again, "hey man, stop following me.  You'll regret fucking with me." I tried to say in my toughest voice.  I couldn't really fight and didn't have any weapons on me.  I was hoping I could just find a bus stop and get the hell out of there.  I walked backwards about a block and the whole time he just stood there watching me.

Once I got to the end of the block I turned my gaze to the other streets to see if I could see any lights or anything.  There was nothing.  Not a single light, nor a bus stop, nothing but these creepy old houses and dark roads stretching four ways and every single one felt like I was going deeper into some unknown.  I was getting really scared.  I was far from home and had no idea where I was.

I looked back to where the man was and he wasn't standing there anymore.  Where the hell did he go?  And how did he disappear without me hearing his damn loud footsteps? Now I was really scared.  I didn't feel safe at all.  There were plenty of places to hide in this neighborhood with the large trees and overgrown bushes.

I kept walking hoping I would come across a bus stop or a business or something.  At least something that had its lights on.  Then I heard something.  A weird clicking sound like from an insect but it sounded much larger.  I couldn't quite figure out where it was coming from. The sounds got stranger too.  I began to hear a staticky noise coming from somewhere and weird static clicks.  There was a low bass too, you couldn't hear it so much as you could feel it.  Very low but definitely there.  The dread was starting to mount and I was sweating nervously.  I could barely keep myself calm.  Everything around me felt like it was part of something sinister.

I stood for a moment to catch my breath and then I heard something come out of the bushes in front of me.  I looked hard into the darkness and couldn't see anyone or anything.  Then I noticed it was because whatever it was, was crawling on all fours low to the ground.  It was creeping slowly toward me in no hurry.  I got stuck frozen in fear.  I just stood there and watched as this thing was inching closer to me.

As I was watching in absolute horror the black mass on all fours crawling toward me I heard the footsteps again behind me.  A spike of fear stabbed me in my spine.  Probably what finally let me move and I turned to see the man again only he was standing about six feet away.  I still couldn't quite grasp his features, something about his face was wrong.  He however did tower over me, almost seven feet tall I would say.  His face seemed to be horribly disfigured.  I could barely see his eyes but they were rolled up into his skull looking up into his brow.  He had his face pointed forward but his eyes the whole time were stuck upward.    His eyes never looked at me but I could feel him watching me.  I could feel something horrible looking at me, something evil even with eyes never touching mine.  I took a step back and he took a step forward.

I snapped out of fear for a moment and remembered the black mass crawling on all fours behind me.  I turned to look and it was dragging itself a mere ten feet away.  I couldn't tell what it was.  Whatever it was looked leathery and slithery.  It glistened a little bit in the moonlight.  I screamed at the top of my lungs and ran.  I looked momentarily over at the crawling thing as I ran across the street and I saw it dart just as fast on all fours right across the street.  I kept running but I could feel it running with me.  I ran until the air in my lungs burned.  I ran until my legs couldn't carry me anymore.  Tears were streaming from my eyes in utter fear.

I saw a light and headed toward it.  I could also hear the footsteps behind me still and they were running too.  I was too afraid to look back but it felt like he was right behind me the whole time a mere arms length away.  I got closer to the light and noticed it was a bus stop.

I kept running until I made it to the light.  I got to the bus stop and finally took a moment to look back and nothing was there.  No one.  No man.  No black mass crawling.  Nothing.  The dread built up immediately and I felt like I was still being watched.  It almost felt like I had been lured there.  Maybe this is where they wanted me to be.

Then I heard something that still haunts my dreams.  A voice or what sounded like a voice mimicking the words, "hey buddy what's your problem?"  It didn't sound normal.  It sounded like it was coming from deep in the throat of someone.  But it didn't sound like a person either.  I could hear the words but it wasn't a voice.  It was mimicking them.  Repeating what I had said earlier.  "Hey buddy, what's your problem?"  Then I heard the insect type clicking again.  Whatever it was kept repeating the words in that deep throated way.  It wasn't a person.  Then it said, "hey, over here, help.  hey, over here, help."  To this day, I'm not sure if it was trying to trick me into thinking that someone needed help or it was repeating something it had heard from another person they had done this to before.

I was conflicted.  I wasn't sure if I should stay at the bus stop or keep running.  That feeling of dread ultimately won out and I kept running hoping that I would pop out into a familiar neighborhood.  Finally I did, I started recognizing streets and buildings but was still nowhere near my house.  I did end up catching a bus home and didn't hear the clicking or the footsteps anymore that night.  But I still can't shake that deep throated way they were speaking.  It felt horrible.  I can still hear it in my head.  Still hear it when I'm sitting alone at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment