Tuesday, July 30, 2013

They Found Me

Its all getting worse.  Time doesn't feel like time and my fear has never gone away.  I have never associated the holiday season with strange occurrences let alone anything paranormal in my family but this last year marked the first occasion.  I was on the phone like I am every year constantly talking with family making plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It was while on the phone with my mom that began the whole thing.

It had just started snowing.  A fresh blanket of snow was covering all the roads and sidewalks.  I was talking with her one night about Thanksgiving and she stopped me mid-sentence asking "what was that?" in a concerned way.  It was unsettling to hear because you don't ever want to hear your mom concerned or even slightly worried.  
"What was what?" I replied.
"That noise, what was that?" she said in her mexican accent.  It always made things sound more superstitious than they should be.
"What noise? I didn't hear anything."
"You didn't hear that?  It was ugly.  You weren't making that sound?" she asked more worried than concerned this time.
"No mom.  I was talking and then you stopped me.  I didn't hear anything.  What did you hear?" my curiosity had been piqued but I was starting to get concerned because she did sound a little rattled.
"You better not be trying to scare me mijo," she always called me that.  Every mexican household called their kids 'mijo' or 'mija' especially when they wanted to remind you that they're mom and you need to be truthful with her right now.  I'm 28 but she can still flex her motherly muscle by just calling me 'mijo.'  
"I know how you are," she continued, "you're always trying to scare me."
"No mom, I swear.  What did you hear?"
"It was ugly," she said letting out a small sigh.  "At first it was just you talking normal and then your voice got stuck on a word and you just dragged out the sound.  Tomorrrrrrrrrr," she mimicked.  "Like that, and then it got real low almost like a growl."
"Hmm, weird," I replied trying to think of a reason why that would happen.
"Then it got all digital," she continued, "and it sounded like screams."
"Screams? Come on mom. You start getting scared and then make it worse by making things up in your head.  I don't think you heard screams.  Probably something weird but I doubt screams."
"You didn't hear it.  It sounded like screams mijo except that they were all digitized or whatever you call it."
"I bet it was the phone malfunctioning."
"I hope so because it was ugly.  I hope I don't...."
She stopped mid-sentence and it got quiet on her end.  Just muted silence.  No breathing or even the soft sound of static.  Just nothing.  I thought for a moment the call had been dropped. I kept saying hello, hello, can you hear me, but no response.  Finally after about 15 or 20 seconds she came back on.
"Oh my god mijo, what was that? That was horrible," she said with shivers in her voice.  
"What? What did you hear? I didn't hear anything." I said getting even more curious and slightly worried now.  More for my mom because I knew how she can scare herself sometimes.
"It was like last time again," she said, "only it was screams mijo.  Screams.  I swear it on my grave."  I didn't like hearing my mom swear things on her grave but she does it from time to time like every other mexican.  I just didn't like it when my mom did it but when she did it, she meant it.
"It was like digital screams and crying," she continued, "I could hear crying mijo.  Like pain and sorrow.  Low long screams of pain.  I could hear them mijo.  Aye no."
"Mom, listen, it was probably the cell phone getting really weird reception in its antenna.  Probably causing all sorts of weird sounds," I was trying my best to give her an explanation to calm her down.  I had no idea what she had heard and she's not one to get all worked up for nothing.  She definitely heard something that scared her but I just couldn't really think what it could it have been.
"No mijo," she said a little frightened now, "it was definitely screaming and crying like through a computer or digital or whatever.  I don't want to hear that again."
"Are you sure it was that? I mean, okay, weird noises but screaming and crying?" she stopped me again.
"Okay, I can hear weird static.  Aye no.  I can't.  Here talk to your sister," she gave the phone away.
"Hello?" my sister said.
"Hey."
"Brother!" she always called me brother, never by my name.  "What's mom freaking out about?" she asked.
"I'm not sure, she says she hears screaming and crying in the phone but I don't hear anything."
"I don't hear anything right now."
"No, it comes and goes.  Like in the middle of us talking.  Let me know if you hear anything okay."
"Okay brother.  Are you coming down for Thanksgiving?  Mom's gonna make turkey enchiladas and pie."
"Yeah, I'm gonna try and make it.  Not sure if I'll be there the day before or the day of."
She didn't reply.  Just silence.  That same muted silence from before.  I couldn't hear anything from their end.  Something again had intercepted the call.  That noise most likely.  I waited saying hello over and over again until finally she came back on.
"Whoa, I heard it brother.  I heard it," she said. "I heard it.  It does sound like screaming.  Wow, I don't blame mom for freaking out, that was crazy."
"What does it sound like?" curiosity started taking over my senses.
"Its like all digitized and scrambled but you can definitely hear screaming and some crying.  That was scary brother."
"Hmm, that's what mom said that it was digitized sounding.  Dang, I wish I could hear it."
"Yeah, its scary like out those scary movvvvvvvvvvvvv"
Her voice just dragged on getting lower and lower.  I got surprised by it at first.  Then like my mom had said it became a low growl turning into digitized screaming bent and twisted.  There was something else in the background too, like meat being dropped onto the floor making that slapping sound.  I could faintly hear the crying they were talking about.  Then finally silence.
"Hello? You still there? I heard it."  Nothing, no one replied.  Just silence.  But a different kind of silence.  I could hear the soft static from the other end and a soft breathing.
"Hello?" I said again, "Stop it guys, you ain't gonna scare me."
Then a whisper rolled out, "Hello," it said in a raspy low voice.  Not one I recognized.
"Hello?" I said confused, "who is this?"
"Shhh, they can't hear us right now but you need to keep it down."
"Why? Who is this? Mike? Are you fucking with me?" An eerie chill twitched across the back of my neck.  Something was wrong here.  I wasn't sure who I was talking to.  That worried feeling from earlier began to creep up again.  Slow fear started to grow in the pit of my stomach.
"I don't know Mike but you need to keep it down or they'll find you.  Shhhh."
"Find me? Who? What are you talking about?"
"The demons.  At least I think that's what they are.  Shhh, shhh, they can't hear right now but you need to keep it down," his voice was twitchy and nervous.  I couldn't tell if someone was trying to play a joke on me.  I wanted to hang up but curiosity kept me from disconnecting.
"I don't believe in demons.  Who is this already? It isn't funny, its kinda lame actually."
"I can't remember.  I don't think I have one anymore.  A name.  Yes, yes, its gone now.  No name.  Shh, shh, or they'll find you."
"If I have to keep quiet then why did you call?"
"I didn't, I didn't call, you called, yeah, you called me.  You found me."
"No buddy, you called me.  I was on the phone before you interrupted."
"Interrupted? Interrupted?  Yes, Yes, I was here but they can't hear now.  Something interrupted them.  That's why they can't hear us right now.  They're lookin' though.  Shhhh."
"What are you talking about?"
"They'll find you.  They will. They're already outside."
"Oh yeah, I don't see anyone bud.  You're mistaken.  I'm hanging up, this is stupid."
"Look out your window."
Nervousness was the first thing that washed over me but I couldn't help myself.  I had to look.  It had been snowing that night with fresh snow covering the ground everywhere.  I live on the second floor of my apartment complex so I can see down to the street.  And there I could see what he was talking about.  Terrible horror filled my eyes.  That fear that had been growing in the pit of my stomach from earlier pulsated out to every inch of my body. 
"You see that, they probably already found you," he said in a mocking kind of tone.
Footprints in the snow were forming with no one to form them.  They were just appearing from nothing. I couldn't believe my eyes.  My heart sank as I kept seeing them appear closer and closer to the building I lived in.  Horror filled me when I noticed they stopped right below my window.  I couldn't help but think it was watching me at that moment.  Whatever it was.  
"What is this?" I said shivering with nervous fear.  "Some kind of trick?"
"No trick.  They can't hear right now but you need to keep it down.  They're out looking.  Sniffing.  Tasting the air.  They'll find you.  They're so close now."
"Who are you?"
"I'm no one.  Not anymore.  I only exist now to keep my pain.  Shhhh."
"Just tell me what's happening.  Who are you?  Is this real?  Hello?  Tell me please!"
"Tell you what brother?"  my sister was back on the phone.  Whoever was talking to me was gone now.  I couldn't stop myself from filling with fear.  I looked out the window again and the footsteps were still there but no new ones had appeared.
"Did you hear anyone on the phone Bri?" I asked.
"Like who?"
"A guy.  Talking real low or anything?"
"Did you hear the screams too brother?  I didn't hear no guy talking.  Only the crazy sounds mom heard.  Did you hear something else?"
"No.  Nevermind.  Don't worry about it.  I'll call you guys later."

I stayed at the window for hours after staring intently on the ground looking for any new footprints to appear.  I couldn't quite come to terms if what I saw and experienced was real.  But now every time I'm on the phone I can hear quiet oscillating static in the background.  Very rhythmic like breathing.  My fear has never left.  The things I see keep getting worse.  Its not real I keep saying but that doesn't help.  I just hope I can stop seeing the faces in the darkness.  I can see them sometimes in the corner of my room.  Bodiless faces staring from the corner of my room in complete darkness.  I can't control my mind and its getting harder and harder to remember my name.  I can't believe its real but every night the faces keep whispering to me that they found me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment