"the Silken Plains"
Below the red skies I rode. I had been riding so long I had begun to let
the ache in my muscles fade out of my mind. I blinked hard a few times to get
the weariness out of my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose as I gazed upon
those bluish and violet hills in the distance, squinting under the orange dwarf
sun's light searching for meaning among the shapes of the hills where there was
none.
To the east were pale purple and yellow grass on flat silken prairie
stretching out as far as the eye could see until finally disappearing into
colossal summits of hellish snow capped mountains. To the west were web-like
pink and grayish forests where no light seemed to pierce. But I focused forward
on the pastures straight ahead of me. Focused on those rolling plains of purple
silk and blue meadow. That’s where they
were.
Night had begun to stretch across the starlit sky. The hellish orange
and reddish hue of day started to become a deep grayish purple and blue as this
planet's sun began to dip below the horizon revealing infinite sparkling points
of pale light twinkling all across the sky. I knew I needed to set up camp soon
and start a fire before the infinite dark swallowed what little light I had
left. Before the terrors of these plains came crawling.
I knew I would be safe with a fire. Safe among its warm light. I had
been riding these parts most of my life. Grew up learning these lands. Until I
left for the municipality of Xenos. That’s where I met you. I always thought
one day you would be here with me, thought maybe we would be looking up at the
stars together watching the twin moons dancing, watching this planet's
turquoise rings radiating their vibrant colors as they moved like rivers across
the sky from one horizon to the other as they spun around the planet. I wonder
where you are right now. I wonder if you even think about me? Or are you off
planet somewhere? I guess it doesn't really matter.
I needed to focus on making my fire instead of on thoughts of you;
before all manner of human-sized creatures begin to crawl near. A large enough
fire to have a circle of light of ten meters, I think that should be good
enough. That's what I learned growing up. That’s what my dad taught me. The light always kept the creatures away and
there always needed to be a circle of ten meters of light. At least. Anything
less and you’re asking for trouble.
I rolled out my mat and tied my horse down inside the ring of light. I
laid down upon the silken sheen of the pink and yellow dirt watching the massive
rings above, silently swirling against star-ways and galaxies that were glowing
behind them, flowing like a stream of shimmering water in the night sky;
glimmering every star point with ivory diamond light. I think about you when
I'm alone like this. When I watch the star-ways, wondering if you are looking
at the same stars as me. Right at this moment, at the same time as me. Maybe we
are connected in this moment without even knowing it. When you left me, I was broken. I thought there was nothing left for me. It's because of you I am out here right now
riding across these silken plains again hunting those things. I also needed to
get away from the suffocation of the municipality. I needed to get away from
everything and figure my life out. I
needed to make some money.
Night had begun to spread itself across the plains and it didn't take
long for things to start moving inside the darkness. I could already hear all the
prairie's living things crawling near, pattering quickly with their strong legs
and coming right to the edge of the light. I can see one of them already. I can
see all of its fifteen eyes glowing an emerald green, reflecting the flickering
light from my fire. Its alien clicking sounds cackling and crunching into the
night air. Its many-jointed limbs tapping into the dirt as it moves around
eagerly just beyond the edges of the light.
This massive creature looked like an eight digit hand but with large,
spiny, hairy legs instead of fingers. Crawling and pattering quickly back and
forth amongst the darkness just beyond where I can see. Its leathery and
muscular body moving among the shadows. Kicking dirt and bouncing
eagerly, trying to figure out a way to grab me and drag me away into the
darkness.
They were spiders the size of a full grown person. They were common
here. That’s why I was really here. I
needed their venom to sell. I needed to
make some money. And spider venom was really valuable around these parts. I knew they never came into the light, but
they always tested how close they could get because as my dad told me, they
could always smell the flesh of humans. You always had to be alert. Always had to be aware of where they
were. I saw one rip apart a man to
pieces once. It grabbed the man with its legs and stretched him apart until he
was ripped in two. I will never forget his screams. I was 14 I think.
Looks like it’s going to be another long night but at least I'll be
thinking about you as I watch the turquoise rings swirl and radiate their
infinite colors like star-way river streams, wishing you were here with me to
see all this beauty. I was going to have
to track this spider back to its den in the morning. You couldn’t hunt them at night. That was just asking for a painful death.
The next morning I woke up from a nightmare. It was of that man getting
ripped apart again. He was a hired hand for
my dad. We needed the help back then to
hunt these spiders. We had set up camp
and the fire was big, creating a huge circle of light. We were all talking and laughing and the man became
too comfortable and got reckless. He
strayed too close to the edge of the light.
That’s when I saw it. A huge
spider emerging from the darkness, crawling frantically toward the man. All its
legs moving quickly in perfect harmony. You could hear the furious tapping
sounds of all its legs hitting the dirt as it sprinted to get close to the man.
It came right to the edge of the light
and pulled the man by his ankles and lifted him into to air grabbing his other
leg with another one of its many appendages and pulled him apart. The man screamed in terror for help. There
was nothing we could do. It happened so
fast. You could hear the sound of flesh ripping. It sounded like paper being
torn apart. And where his legs came
together at the groin, you could see stringy red flesh being pulled apart as
his body ripped down the center. As he
screamed in horror, his shoulders separated and his head flopped and bobbed as
it stayed connected to his right shoulder.
It was an explosion of blood and wet chunks of meat as red mist sprayed
into the night air. That dream never
seems to go away. I can still see his face as he realized his body was ripping
apart. His eyes will haunt me forever.
I wiped the sleep from my eyes. The sun was just beginning to peek over
the horizon with streaks of fire yellow and red dancing on its giant arcs like
living flame moving like colossal giants made of fire. The rest of the sky was
still a blue and pale purple with stars slowly fading into the backdrop of a
red and orange day.
There was barely a sound on the prairie. Barely anything moving except
for the giant spider. It was still here. It had waited here the whole night.
Staying just beyond the edge of the light. That was unusual. They never did
that when I was out here with my dad. Usually as the sunlight began to stretch
across the sky the spiders would scurry away back into their dens not wanting
to endure the sting of the heat. But this one refused to leave. It seemed to
have a tolerance for the heat.
These
spiders had become more and more resistant to the sunlight. Making it more
dangerous to be out here. But I needed
the money. Even if it had been decades
since I had been back here. Things change fast in the galaxy. My life fell apart just as fast. Faster than
memory and nostalgia. Those things seem to never change in our minds. Just like
my memory of you. No matter what I'm going through, you seem to always be in my
thoughts. I hate it sometimes. I really need to think about my situation. About this damn spider that refused to go
back to its den. I was going to hunt
this one. But I needed it to be asleep
and with its guard down. It was still
early and the sun wasn’t high enough in the sky yet so there was still time for
this stubborn spider to feel the sting of the light.
I was going to need to keep my
fire going if I was to outlast this thing. It surely wouldn't last long with
more heat. It would have to leave. I just needed to get another fire grease
ball from my pack so I could make the fire last a little longer. I guess I was
going to have to get comfortable again because I wasn't going anywhere until
this spider left. The sky was not a full
bright yellow and red yet. The day wasn’t in full swing but this spider was
still pacing around the heat of my fire. I had moved the flame near my horse
but my horse was starting to get uncomfortable with the heat being so
near. I started to worry that my horse was going to get impatient
and panic. It was beginning to neigh and move around anxiously. It was ready to
move but I knew we couldn't just yet. That spider could scurry with its many legs,
just as fast as my horse could run and would catch us no problem. Even with my
horse at full sprint.
Finally, this giant spider had had enough
of the sun and the heat and began to scurry away back toward its den. With all
of its legs moving perfectly, one right after another in smooth motions it
crawled away like a giant hand crawling across the ground. I was thinking its den was somewhere beyond the
large rocks to the north. I was going to
follow this massive creature and kill it and take its venom. I was going to bring a large enough torch
with me. I gathered some of the tinder I had been burning and used some of my
grafting straps and scion glue to piece together a large make-shift torch. I
attached it to the bottom of my saddle so I could hold it upright as I rode
along.
The flame was so red it made it hard to see, I could barely see where it
ended and the sky began. I climbed atop of my horse and slowly made my way
toward the northern rocks. The spider seemed to be staying just far enough ahead
that it was no problem for me to follow.
However, with the dwarf sun and the red flames, the heat was getting too
much for the spider and it started to move more quickly. I needed to quicken my
pace if I were stay up with it. That would prove to be a mistake. As my horse
bounced more vigorously in its gallop I began to lose my grip on my torch and
it finally fell and the flames hit at the hinds of my horse causing it to buck
wildly. Throwing me off. I hit the pink dirt so hard it knocked the wind out of
me. I panicked. Gasping for air as I tried to find my torch. I looked around
wildly and it was still attached to my horse who was still bucking around
aggressively. I got up quickly and ran
to my horse. Calming it down. Rubbing the side of its head and it slowly
regained its composure. I looked toward the northern rocks and I didn’t see the
spider anymore. Damn it, I thought. I lost it.
But it couldn’t have gotten too far.
I would just have to move more quickly toward the rocks and hopefully I
would catch up with it.
I hopped on my horse and started galloping
towards the rocks. Scanning the prairie lands for any movement. But I couldn’t see anything. Damn, where did this thing go. I moved my hand above my eyes, shielding them
from the light of the sun. I couldn’t find
which direction it went until finally I saw some tracks. I smiled, there you are, I said, and started
my horse in that direction.
I needed the money, I kept saying. Hunting spiders was dangerous and hardly
anyone did it anymore but I really needed the money. It was my only hope of
getting my life together and maybe getting a second chance with Jessica. I thought of her hair, her smile. The way she looked when the graphite lights
of the skyscrapers poured through our windows.
I could almost feel her again but that’s when the spider emerged from
the ground. It threw open a slab of dirt
like a door leading to a basement cellar.
Half its body jumped out and grabbed my horse and as it dragged it back
into its dirt cellar, I flew off my horse and hit the ground, dislocating my
shoulder. The pain was sharp and
fast. I couldn’t breathe. I could only hear the wails of my horse as it
was dragged underground. It was doing something
to it and I couldn’t see any of it. I
could only hear the sounds of my horse being preyed upon by a giant
spider.
I got up and looked around and saw the
torch lying on the ground. I sprinted to
get it but not before the giant spider lurched out again from underground and
tripped me. Curling the end of its
spiny, leathery leg around my ankle, it started dragging me toward its
underground den. I started flaying my arms around trying to grab something.
Anything. There was nothing to grab. Then I started punching the spider's leg
but it had no effect. I started screaming desperately for help but knew no one
would hear me. No one came out into these plains unless you were hunting
spiders. And there was no one left anymore. No one did that anymore. I got reckless. I shouldn't have come out
here. This was how it was going to end. I was going to die just like that
prairie-hand I saw all those years ago that got ripped apart.
I closed my eyes. Jessica, I thought, I wish I could see you one more
time. I wish we didn't drift apart the way that we did. I wish so many things
and now, here in the moment of my death I find myself thinking of only you. I'm
so sorry. And just as quickly as the spider pulled him into the air, it tore
him apart like paper. Leaving an explosion
of meat and blood crashing and flopping to the ground. And the spider scurried back into its
underground dirt den. And it was silent
on the prairie again. Only the sounds of
this land existed and nothing else. Only
a mist of red lingered in the air, shimmering in the sunlight. That was all that was left of him. And after
some time, all manner of creatures came out to where the pieces of his body lay
and each dragged away their own piece of meat.
And there were no sounds of horror anymore. No screams.
Just the sounds of heat and the prairie feasting.
No comments:
Post a Comment