Monday, April 9, 2012

We Should Have Never Gone Out That Night

"Oh come on, stop being so scared you little girl.  We didn't come all this way for you to chicken out," Toby said to me trying to get me to go in but I was scared, it was an old abandoned building that used to be a factory of some kind and it was supposedly haunted.  We had come here in the dead of night and the building looked even more menacing than what the stories described.
"I'm not chickening out...just you know, psyching myself up," but I was scared.  I don't know why I decided to play paranormal investigator maybe because I didn't have anything else to do that Saturday night but I regret it to this day.
"Come on Aaron, we'll just have a look around," Kevin said to me.  Kevin was alright, I liked Kevin but why did we have to hang out with Toby, he was an asshole and annoying.  I hated Toby, he always made my life a living hell and he was Kevin's friend, not mine.  At school he always embarrassed me in front of people and made me do his homework for him sometimes.  I had wished he would move away or worse that he would die in a car wreck or something.
"Yeah Aaron, you pussy.  Stop acting like a bitch and lets go or should I call your mom and tell her I'll be home soon to you know, haha," he cracked a high-pitched laugh amused with his own lame joke.  I hated how he laughed.
"Shut the hell up Toby."
"Stop being a prissy up tight girl.  Come on shithead, lets check this shit hole out," his fake bravery was starting to get under my skin.  He always had to cuss like doing so made him tough.
"Hey Kevin," I said turning on my flashlight, "do you think this place is haunted?"
"I dunno, I hope, would make for a good story huh."
I smiled and said, "screw that, I think I'd rather have a boring Saturday night."  He smiled back and said, "well, there's probably nothing here so it'll probably be boring as hell."
We slowly made our way over boulders and large logs to a door on the side of the building.  Most of the windows had been peppered with rocks and were broken.  There was a lot of debris from the building scattered outside on the ground it was a miracle the building hadn't fallen over on its own accord already.  We went through the door that was half hinged on and pointed our flashlights around the room.
"There's a lot of shit in here," Toby said in his most arrogant voice, "Whoa, look at this fucking thing," lifting an old rusted hacksaw. "You think that poor sap was murdered with this thing," he was referring to one of the many stories about this place.  The more popular one he was talking about was a group of friends that had come here doing the exact same thing we were decades ago that ended up chopping up one of their friends into pieces and burned them inside a barrel.
"I doubt it," I said, "you think the murder weapon would still be lying around?"
"Whatever, fuck you.  I'll use it on you and leave it here lying around fuck face, then it'll make the story true huh" I hated when he called me that.  He always called me that in front of girls at school too and I never had anything quick to say back.  It embarrassed me so much.
"Shut up Toby," Kevin said. "Do you hear that?" I moved my head trying to listen to the smallest of sounds.
"Yeah, what is that," I said.
"Sounds like scratching," Kevin replied.
"Where? I don't hear shit."
"Shut up Toby, just listen." Kevin said as we all stood silent for a few moments listening to the darkness.  My eyes began to wander around the dark room trying to find the source.  It sounded like it was coming from the far corner.
"Go look Aaron," Toby said.
"Yeah right, you go look."
"Fine chicken shit, I'll look."
Kevin and I stood silently pointing our flashlights to the corner as Toby made his way over the rubble and old furniture.  The scratching continued and Toby moved closer.  He started moving chairs and slid an old desk out of the way.
"Whoa!" he screamed.
"What! What is it?!" I said frightened.
"Its a big fucking rat! Ugh!"
Kevin and I started laughing but we were soon silenced when we heard three knocks coming from the other side of the wall behind us.  We all looked wide eyed at each other and nervously pointed our flashlights toward the wall.
"Tell me you heard that," Kevin said.
"Yeah I heard it," I said as my hands nervously trembled the flashlight making the batteries rattle against the plastic.
"I heard that shit, go check it out," Toby said to me.
"Ha..." I stood silently as I realized he was serious, "fuck that, you go check."
"We all go," Kevin said but I really didn't want to go at all.  We took a few moments and finally slowly made our way across the room around the empty doorway and into a long hallway that led to other office rooms.  We carefully made our way down the hallway and took some turns inside this maze like building.  We passed a couple of empty rooms that had absolutely nothing in them and didn't have any windows.  At the end of one of the corridors we reached a room that had desks and chairs piled on top of each other.  We peered in with our flashlights but saw and heard nothing.  We moved on and reach a stairwell that led downward into more hallways it looked like.  As we stood at the top of the stairs we contemplated going down.
"Damn, that's fucking spooky, hey fuck face, go check it out," I curled my face angrily at him.
"Fuck you man, stop pretending like you're not scared."
"Hey shithead, if I was..."
"Hey, shut up," Kevin interrupted.  We stood silently and heard soft knocking from the room we just passed with all the desks and chairs.  "There it is again," Kevin said with a bewildered look on his face.  Fear was starting to pile up on my mind and I was getting overwhelmed.
"I think I'm gonna go outside, this is starting to freak me out too much."
"Yeah, you go outside fuck face and I'll tell everyone how you're a..." right then Toby got interrupted by a deep growl coming from behind us from the bottom of the stairwell.  We turned slowly toward the stairs and pointed our flashlights into the darkness.  It was a sound very much like an animals and I thought to myself that it might be a wolf or a dog down there because it had a savageness to it.  Toby then slowly took some steps toward the stairs moving one foot in front of the other like he was walking on a thin layer of ice.  I couldn't see down the steps but as soon as Toby reached the edge and shined his light down he took a deep gasp and leaped backward running passed us.  Kevin and I looked at each other momentarily and followed suit.  As we were running back down the hallways I could hear footsteps behind us but I dared not look.  They didn't sound like an animals but more like a person's with two steps.  It wasn't a dog or a wolf behind us but a person chasing us.

As we continued to run with Toby ahead of us something from one of the empty rooms reached out and took him.  He let out a loud scream of pain and Kevin and I stopped in our tracks frozen in fear.  As we stood in the hallway briefly we could hear Toby wrestling around with something as he screamed for help.  We didn't know what to do. I turned to see if anything was still following us but nothing was there.  Then Toby flopped out of the door and onto the floor covered in blood and had deep scratches on his face.
"Help! Help me! Oh God! Help!" We just looked on in a panicked fear as something lurched out and grabbed his legs. I didn't see what grabbed him because instinctively I looked at his face and the amount of terror and pure horror in his eyes haunts me to this day.  He was suddenly thrashed powerfully from side to side crashing against the frame of the doorway over and over again letting out deep gargled moans of blood and pain.  Then he was pulled up the border of the door as he reached out for our help but I just stood there watching him get mauled.  I couldn't do anything nor did I want to, maybe if it was Kevin getting attacked I would have done something but with Toby, my body didn't react.  It began thrashing him from side to side again until finally pulling him into the room at a cartoonish speed.  That's when Kevin and I took our chance and sprinted passed the room.  I didn't look but Kevin took a quick glance.  We made it out but neither one of us could go back in for Toby.  We didn't know if he was dead or still alive but we finally decided to leave for help and tell the police that some kind of animal took Toby.

After they found Toby, a couple of days later the police asked me to come in for questioning.  They kept asking me who was it that took Toby and I kept telling them it was some kind of big animal that attacked him.  I saw the look on the detective's face and I knew they didn't believe me but what else could I say, I'm not even sure myself what happened.

I ran into Kevin a few days later at school and he was still mortified with a pale face.  I asked him if he had been in for questioning again and he said yes.
"Why are they questioning us again Kevin? Don't they believe us that some kind of animal did this?"
"I dunno what it was Aaron," he said staring blankly off into space.
"You saw it didn't you Kevin, what was it?"
"I didn't see anything Aaron."
"Then what else could it have been Kevin beside an animal."
"I dunno but they said an animal can't cut up a body into pieces and place it in a barrel and light it on fire."

No comments:

Post a Comment