Monday, April 9, 2012

There's Something in My Closet

The first time I saw it I was getting ready for work early in the morning.  I was putting my make up on and I saw it out of the corner of my eye, there in the reflection of the mirror, a figure lurking in the dark corner of my closet behind me.  My heart jumped and a brief cold shock of fear rolled up my skin.  It was very short and stood no taller than the bottom of the clothes hanging.  I turned around and whatever may have been there had vanished.  I was tired, it was early morning and my eyes have played tricks on me in the early dark a million times before but somehow in my bones this time felt a little different. I felt uneasy so just to calm my nerves I walked over to check the closet, moving the racks of clothes just to make sure there was nothing there.  Satisfied there wasn't some weird creature lurking behind me I finished getting ready and went to work.  However, all day I had a terrible dread floating with me as if something horrible were going to happen to me.

When I got home that same day there was nowhere to park in front of my apartment complex so I had to park in the alley.  As I pulled through and was passing the dumpster I saw it again, the dark figure, hidden in the shadows.  It was wedged in a corner between the dumpster and the fence it was leaning against.  It was hooded but I could see its dark black sparkling eyes piercing from underneath watching me.  Its boney grey fingers were hanging at its sides, limp and in my terror, I think I saw a wicked evil smile.  I parked in a stall in the parking lot and sat in my car for a few moments trying to fight off the fear I had growing under my skin.  I kept telling myself it couldn't possibly be real but just to make sure I was going to make a quick sprint to the door.  So I got all my things together with my shaky hands and finally mustered enough courage to get out of the car.  At first I slowly exited the car.  It was cold outside but at that moment couldn't feel anything beside my fear.  As I stepped out I was focused on the dumpster where I saw it lurking and backed away towards the complex door then hurried across the parking lot.  I delayed at the door as I searched for the correct key.  I could barely keep my hands from shaking and each moment that passed as I fumbled through my keys it felt as if the thing were getting closer.  I did not dare look back, I just focused on my keys.  Finally I made it inside and up to my apartment but still didn't feel safe when I got there.  I checked all the rooms and closets and although I found nothing it felt like something was there with me.  I stayed up for a while on constant guard huddle in my blanket on the couch twitching at every creak or strange noise.  I kept thinking how much I wish I had a dog right now.

As the night grew on I grew more tired and I was really tired from work.  My energy felt sapped and I fell into a deep sleep.  I had horrible nightmares that night of terrible creatures and strange tortures.  I woke up sweating, cold and damp with my hair sticking to my forehead and felt a pain in my stomach.  Confused and drowsy, I looked down and lifted the sheets and saw the creature crouched on top of me.  A piercing fear of horror and dread shook me to my core and my eyes bulged with cold terror as I looked at this monstrosity of nature.  It was not looking at me however as it was gnawing on something. I couldn't quite make out what was in its mouth in the darkness and then in a quick jerk of its head looked upon my eyes with its sparkling bead-like bulbous eyes.  Then I realized I wasn't sweating, it was blood all over me.  The creature was eating me!  I screamed at the top of my lungs but shock overtook me and only silent gasps of air escaped.  Its teeth clamped down onto my intestines as it pulled and yanked with its mouth all my flesh.  I finally pulled enough strength to punch and kick the creature and it leaped off of me and disappeared back into the closet.  I felt nauseous and lumbered over to the phone. I pressed nine, and I could feel my throat drying, then pressed one,  and as everything faded to black pressed the final one and as I lost consciousness the last thing I saw was its smile of pure satisfaction.

I woke up the next morning in a hospital bed in the worse pain I have ever felt.  They had me connected to machines with tubes and wires.  My abdomen was wrapped in bandages and everything felt very surreal. A nurse and doctor came into the room to check on me and I was asked what happened.  I was still feeling the effects of the pain killers but in my state I tried my best to tell my story and describe the creature.  Seeing the doctors face I knew no one believed me.  I closed my eyes and they left the room.  I opened them and grabbed the clipboard they left.  I could barely focus on the letters but it read: "Patient treated for major traumatic lacerations to the abdominal region.  Blood and tissue found under the patients nails and inside mouth indicate wounds to be self inflicted."

No comments:

Post a Comment